Being “Green” is the hip thing to do, but it can also save your organization a lot of money. Is your organization doing these simple things to become more green and save green?
- Make recycling containers for paper, plastic bottles, and aluminum cans easily available in your stations and office areas. Regularly emptying these containers will help encourage their use.
- Replace light bulbs where you can with compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Use auto-on and auto-off motion sensing lights switches in garages and day rooms to reduce electricity use.
- Wash ambulances and other vehicles with cold water. Only wash vehicles when needed.
- Turn off the TV and room lights when you leave for a call.
- Adjust the heat in the apparatus bay to the minimum temperature needed for temperature sensitive items like medications.
- Develop and follow an organization policy for reducing engine idling at stations, posting locations, incidents, and receiving facilities.