In 2009 I have gone all in with social media. The connections I have made have led to a podcast (EMSEduCast.com), a new live online EMS education training program (EMSBootCamp.com), and a new website (PIOSocialMediaTraining.com). Together these projects have broadened my audience and exponentially expanded my network. They are also becoming a small and growing source of income.
I hear from colleagues that are looking for full-time or free lancing opportunities. My first question is always, “How are using social media in your job search.” Inexplicably most say, “I am not.” Whoa! Get on board – Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Blogging, YouTube, and more are all free tools for you to grow a network and showcase your skills.
These are my Everyday EMS Tips to start using Social Media for your job search:
1. Establish a presence NOW! Start a LinkedIn and Facebook account a minimum. I would be glad to connect with you.
2. Read Chris Brogan’s excellent free ebook “Using Social Media to Find Work.”
3. Buy (that would be nice) or ask me for a free copy of my ebook “The 4 Most Important People for your Professional Network.” I will give you a free copy if you tell your social media community about this ebook. Pretty easy.
4. Share resources, ideas, and tips with other professionals in the industry you want to be in. Get started. Stop reading and start contributing.
5. Enroll in the PIO Social Media email boot camp. It is free and will give you the base knowledge you need as an emergency response professional about social media.