EMS professionals have many opportunities to apply for scholarships for initial education, continuing education, and conference attendance. I am occasionally asked to review and rank scholarship essays and have these tips for all applicants.
1. Carefully review the eligibility and application criteria.
2. Understand the essay question or topic. Reflect and brainstorm on the question/topic before you start writing.
3. Writing in an active voice using the first person.
4. Write well ahead of the deadline so you have time to review.
5. Use spell and grammar check. Also perform a word count to make sure you are within the word limit.
6. Ask a friend, relative, or mentor to proof read your application.
7. Read what you have written out loud.
Finally, I have noticed far fewer people apply for scholarships that I expect. Your odds of success are better than you think.
What are your tips for a successful scholarship application?
Find more on conference scholarships and how to reduce your conference cost in a great set of tips on the Rescue Digest blog.