1. West Va. Fire Chief featured in Oscar-nominated documentary (FireRescue1.com)
Heroin(e), a Netflix documentary features three women as they fight the opioid epidemic in Huntington, West Virginia.
Huntington Fire Chief Jan Rader is on the front lines of the epidemic and thinks society as a whole needs to change their outlook on opioid addicts.
“We don’t treat people poorly for eating a whole cake, and having a diabetic emergency because of it, so why are we treating people poorly who relapsed and overdosed?” Chief Rader told Variety.com “I don’t care if I save somebody 50 times, that’s 50 chances to get into long-term recovery.”
2. SHOT Show photos, glocks and flashlights (PoliceOne.com)
The PoliceOne.com team has been at SHOT Show this week. From firearms to tactical gear, the 40th installment of SHOT Show did not disappoint.
- Photo roundup: SHOT Show 2018
- 4 impressive firearms at SHOT Show 2018
- 4 companies lighting the way at SHOT Show 2018
3. What’s the patient’s level of consciousness? (EMS1.com)
EMS providers check a patient’s AVPU. This is how I explain AVPU to EMT and paramedic students.
Determining a patient’s level of consciousness