1. Submit to Speak at EMS World Expo
Applications to speak at EMS World Expo 2018 are due January 15. Here are three reasons to apply to expo or other conferences.
- You do work that matters. Share it with others.
- The best way to test out your ideas is to present them to your peers.
- EMS audiences are more friendly than you might imagine.
Send in an application and let me know if you get accepted.
2. Medic2Medic Podcast on Top 2017 news
Steve Cohen, host of the Medic2Medic podcast invited me on the show to discuss the top EMS news of 2017. My list included:
- EMS LODD and injuries, especially the death of FDNY EMT Yadira Arroyo.
- Las Vegas shooting and bystander care of bleeding
- Opioid epidemic and what President Trump gets wrong about addiction
Got a chance to catch up with 2 past guests to talk about impact stories in EMS for 2017 for @medic2medicpod. Thanks to @gfriese and @AJHeightman for a great recording today. Look for their picks on Sunday in all new podcast. pic.twitter.com/cnPM9s1eAu
— Steven Cohen (@scohennc) December 29, 2017
3. Be ready for duty
A Pennsylvania fire department was decertified after seven out of nine firefighters allegedly responded to a call while under the influence of alcohol.
Is drinking part of your department’s esprit de’ corps?
All things in moderation, of course, but I suspect the public’s and elected official’s tolerance for emergency responders to have had just one drink or a couple of beers before responding is much lower than we might expect.
Read more about alcohol and culture: Why firefighter alcohol abuse puts us all at risk