For a long time I joked that the only regular blog reader I had was my mom. I wrote dozens of posts that received less than 10 page views. Gradually traffic has built and I have used a variety of techniques, some successful and others not, to increase visits. I am now regularly surprised at the number of monthly page views and the wide variety of posts that receive regular clicks. In fact, some of my earliest posts still generate significant traffic.
Recently, a new EMS blogger asked me for some blog promotion tips. I don’t intend to hold myself out as a blog expert, but these are some of the things, other than sheer force of will that have helped me succeed. I also feel like these tips are generally applicable to non-EMS blogs. Please jump in with your own blog promotion tips.
1. Create content regularly that is compelling and interesting to your audience. I generally post daily and I try to write content that will be of greatest interest to students, new EMTs, and educators.
2. Get your name out in the EMS industry. Comment on posts at many EMS blogs. Offer to guest post on your favorite EMS blogs (yes, I gladly accept guest posts from EMS bloggers). Pitch articles to EMS1.com, JEMS.com, and EMSWorld.com. Listen to a few episodes of the EMS Garage podcast and then email the host, Chris Montera, that you want to join the conversation.
3. Join social networks. Participate in the conversation. Share links to your posts frequently. Almost daily I will tweet about a post I wrote months ago. The link might have gone unnoticed at the original time of the post and the membership of my social network has changed significantly over time.
4. Seize face to face opportunities to meet with new and future readers. When you meet your readers ask them to keep sharing your blog with other EMS professionals. Make some business cards that you can share at conferences and meet-ups.
5. Ask readers to comment and share which helps show that others are reading the blog. This is social proof that other people are visiting and involved. Clicking on the Facebook “Like” button is also powerful social proofing.
6. Explain options to read the blog. Everyday EMS Tips can be accessed by visiting, using a feed reader, subscribing to receive email notification of new posts, or through links from social networks. You can even read a Kindle edition of Everyday EMS Tips (Amazon Affiliate Link).
7. See #1 and be patient. It takes time to develop an audience.
8. Learn blog promotion from the pros. 65 blog promotion tips at ProBlogger.com.
Post updated on 10/22/11
What are your blog promotion tips?