The fliers are out, the merchandise is on the shelves, and it is impossible to avoid the fact that a new school year is only weeks away. As a new EMS student, you can prepare for your school year by using these 5 Everyday EMS Tips to immerse yourself in the emergency medical field.
1. Become familiar with terminology, current topics, and trends by reading emergency medicine websites and blogs. See a list of some of our favorite EMS websites.
2. Purchase your textbooks in advance. Scan the table of contents and each chapter summary to prepare for what you will learn. (Bonus tip: look for used EMT-Basic Textbooks at Amazon.com. Make sure you are buying the same edition your instructor has selected.)
3. Schedule a ride along or tour with your local ambulance service, fire department or hospital emergency department to learn more about the job duties of EMT and Paramedics during emergencies and between calls.
4. Meet your instructors. Ask them what they recommend you do to prepare. (Bonus tip: attend the free EMSBootCamp webinar for new EMT students. A recording is available anytime).
5. Talk with current EMS personnel. Ask them what was helpful for them when they went through their own EMS training.
How you prepare now will put you that much further ahead once the school year begins. Open your calendar, sharpen your pencils, and get started!