Doing a little deskkeeping (cleaning my desk) and making a final pass through my handwritten notes from the NAEMSE 2012 Symposium that was held two months ago (August) at Walt Disney World. The follow is some of the tips, resources, ideas, books, and links that I think are worth sharing:Rob Theriault, Greg Friese, Steve Kanarian
Training Priorities for the Next year
This from a group discussion in Steve Kanarian’s presentation:
- Bloodborne pathogens
- Head Trauma
- Traumatic Stress
- Medication Shortage
- Driver Training
- Active Shooter (Everyday EMS Tips active shooter CE Mash-up)
- Cumulative Stress
- Personal Health and Wellness (PDF resource Addressing the Epidemic of Obesity in the Fire Service)
- Honor Code
- Understand methods students use to cheat
- Ask students not to cheat
- Give clear test taking instructions
- Discuss cheating scenarios/cases with students. Is this cheating? Why or why not?
- Write really great (higher level) test questions.
- Don’t use test questions provided by book publishers for graded tests.
- Keep test materials secure.
- Know your organization’s process for reporting and prosecuting cheating.
- Role model professional behavior by using instruction materials, photos, and videos that are public domain or you have permission to use.
- Regularly review and display rules. Visibly post classroom rules and cheating consequences in the classroom.
- Use computer based tests.
- No materials on desk, next to desk, under desk, near desk, etc. during tests.
- Let your students know you will be watching them during the test.
- Don’t give up
- Hope required
- Appreciate any gains
- Celebrate small successes
- Provide support services
- Pre-admission counseling
- Be patient
- Be flexible
- Listen and learn about student’s challenges
- How to assess a patient that appears unresponsive
- When to suction a neonate
- Flail chest treatment
- Relieving an airway obstruction
- Management of pediatric bradycardia
- Determine the severitiy of a burn
- ACS vs dissecting anneurysm
- Diagnosis of atypical chest pain
- Use a tourniquet
- Oxygen administration
Kahn Academy for drug dose calculations (video embedded in an Everyday EMS Tips post)
NoTxt – app that disables text capability of phone while driving