Taking pictures of actually injured or ill patients is logistically difficult and often requires a lot of luck to encounter the specific patient for the specific situation you are describing in a lesson. Thus I do a lot of custom or staged photography of injured or ill patients to use in e-learning lessons.
Moulage is a process of applying makeup and prosthetics to simulate illness or injury. A few general principles I follow for moulage application include:
- needs to be appropirate to the patient’s mechanism, complaint, and history
- aim for realism and subtlety
- don’t over apply
- only moulage what is important for the learning points
- moulage what you are likely to photograph
- leave some wounds for discovery during the patient assessment
What are your moulage application and design tips?