June 1 is the official start of the hurricane weather season. All residents of Hurricane prone areas should do these things:
- Get a kit
- Make a family emergency plan
- Be informed
Learn more about preparedness at the Ready.gov website.
Everyday EMS Tips for emergency responders that live and work in Hurricane prone areas:
- Make sure you and your family are ready. You will be less ready and likely to assist others if you are not prepared to leave your family.
- Respond to hurricane damaged areas only when requested. Free lancing increases the risk and danger for you and others.
- Work within the Inicident Management System. Complete the duties assigned to you by your supervisor.
- Always select and use the proper PPE to protect yourself
- Recognize and understand a wide range of hazards to your safety, such as downed electrical lines, flooded roads, moving water, contaminated water, unstable buildings and surfaces, and more.
If you live in a hurricane prone area how does your department prepare for hurricane season?