In 2020 I walked, ran or hiked at least 6 million steps, as measured by my Garmin Vivoactive 3 watch. Logging at least 500,000 steps a month isn’t a walk in the park (or rather many walks in the park).
- January. 473,731 steps.
- February. 450,380 steps. YTD total = 924,111
- March. 516,006 steps. YTD total = 1,440,117
- April. 551,027 steps. YTD total = 1,991,144
- May. 632,209 steps. YTD total = 2,623,353 (new PR for most steps in a day – 56,550 on May 30, as well as new PRs for most steps in a month and most steps in a week)
- June. 469,025 steps. YTD total = 3,092,378 (slowed down by a calf injury. Still ahead of pace for the year, but lost some of the cushion I had built up in April and May)
- July. 523,841 steps. YTD total = 3,616,219 (another month of being slowed by injury, but was able to pick up the steps per day in the last few weeks of the month)
- August 588, 591 steps. YTD total = 4,204,810 (this was a good month of running, long walks and several hikes including a visit to the Porcupine Mountains State Park. Also of note, I had more than 6 million steps for the trailing 12 months – Sept. 1, 2019 to August 31, 2020. With 4 months to go, I feel good about reaching 6 million steps for the 2020 calendar year).
- September 460,925 steps. YTD total = 4,664,105. A century bike ride did a number on my left knee. Did very little running post injury.
- October 501,105 steps. YTD total = 5,165,210. No running in October. Had to have a 23k final day to make to 500k.
- November 459,728. YTD total = 5,624,938. Fortunate that I banked a lot of extra steps in spring and summer. November is usually a sedentary month due to holidays, hunting and more. Glad to have done so well.
- December 486,016. YTD total = 6,112,505. I went over 6 million on Christmas day.
A few big months walking and running made all the difference.