A few days ago I wrote a long article about hydration for operational athletes. Working as a paramedic, firefighter or police officer places unusually demands on your body and fitness. It is important to learn to listen to your body and appropriately feed and fuel before, during, and after operations.
1. Thirst is the best indicator you need water.
2. Water, too which we are highly evolved to need and utilize, is the best liquid to drink.
3. Sports drinks are over-hyped and over-marketed with no evidence they are effective.
4. A well balanced diet generally contains all the nutrients and electrolytes we need. Supplements, like sports drinks, are over-hyped and over-marketed with no evidence they are effective.
5. Regularly hydrate, based on thirst, rather than pre-hydrating for a specific planned or unplanned event.
6. Listen to your body – trying to press onward through hyperthermia and dehydration puts you and others at risk.
7. When you need to lose heat use all available means – radiation, convection, conduction, and evaporation.